• Show
Clear All
  • Class: {{esusrinfo_class4231}}
    Level: {{esusrinfo_level4231}}
    Guild Name: {{esusrinfo_guild4231}}

[ Rotate Costumes in the Item Mall ]

Rotate Costumes in the Item Mall!

"May Ishmael bless the humans of Elrios with better fashion!"
    READ TOP "THE MISSION" FOR TL;DR (EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST EXPLANATION)

The Mission:

Rotate old costumes, accessories, and suits to the item mall.

How? Suggestions include --
    • Rotate costume sales out on a weekly or monthly basis. (EX. A, B, and C costume sets are sold for one week. They disappear, and the next week D, E, and F are put on sale. Rinse and repeat!)
    • Add costumes in permanently, like the current ones are (ex. dark priest, els casual, etc.)
      • → A combination of both ideas! Some costume sets remain in the IM for a long period of time, say a year+, while other sets are cycled in and out.
    This is not a request for more costumes. It is one for old costumes/accs/suits/etc to be rotated in the item mall so new and old players have a more diverse fashion choice.

Read the spoiler below for more information, such as what happened to the item mall following the release of MW.

SPOILER
    The Story

With the introduction of magic wardrobe came the removal of costumes. As promised, costumes returned later as packages (source - item resell list) - but only for a limited time.

After, the MW had a "first expansion" around May 4th 2017, which added more costumes into the item mall permanently. Note, these costumes didn't have an end sale date. Suddenly though, around June 2nd, 2017 people saw that all the outfits were pulled out (some examples: Classic Maid, Noir, Office Wear, etc.) with no removal notice. A CS ticket sent in by a user said it was a "decision made by management."

When all is said and done, this has left us with only eight pages in the IM, and the following costumes: Bad Guys, Fantasy Star Academy, Animal Cosplay, Summer Casual, Holy/Dark Priest, Fantasy, ELS Casual, ELS Spring Rain. Eight costumes for the entire player base to decide from, with the occasional 2(+) week sale on new costumes before they're pulled out.
    The Reason

A lot of people play Elsword not just for the action but for the dress-up as well. Costumes and appearance are usually a core component of any successful mmo. Even some of the most popular shooter games benefit off microtransactions done for the sole purpose of cosmetics.

The approach Elsword gives to this is to release costumes for a limited time and them lock away for an indefinite amount of time - it can be years before you ever see something again, if at all. While it encourages impulsive cashing as a marketing practice, I think it would be beneficial to the company as well as players to rotate costume sets in and out of the item mall more frequently. It can put old sets back into circulation and encourage people to cash and improve market supply, cycling around more K-Ching and ED.

This will also encourage new players who are interested in dress up to continue to play as well as potentially cash in or save up, since they won't be so underwhelmed by just an eight costume selection.
    How is this possible?

Elsword's approach to their code is often to keep old content in even after it's been retired. As an example, if you browse the list of titles in-game, you'll find there are still traces of very old titles that were only available for a limited time. There's no need for it to be around, but the title remains in game. Likewise, during the weeks where our updates are only Item Mall fillers, the game often has a "live maintenance" where at server reset, instead of going down for a patch, costume packages go up right away in the IM. That leads me to believe that costume codes are already in the game files, making the idea of rotating out costumes not very resource intensive or difficult.

Whether my assumptions are accurate or not, I strongly believe this is an idea that is flexible and easy for Elsword to take hold of and handle in a way that benefits their business, while also improving player's experience with fashion and the item mall. It's a win-win!

Yes.
    99.22%
    No.
    0%
    Undecided / Indifferent
    0.78%
    Last edited by Allensiah-solace-; 03-23-2019, 09:47 PM.

Support? IM Costume Rotate | ❤ @Aishmael
  • Class: {{esusrinfo_class4236}}
    Level: {{esusrinfo_level4236}}
    Guild Name: {{esusrinfo_guild4236}}

This post is dedicated to additional observations and user feedback. No criticism has been given at this time.

FireElFlare on Costume Suits:
    SPOILER
    Originally posted by FireElFlare-solace- View Post
    This is something I didn't think to mention before, but I'd also really like it if the Costume Suits were also on rotation, as I actually do like the looks of some of them, even if I don't like their stats, but again, I don't always have the cash for them when they're available.
    OP Note: Adding more accessories and costume suits would be a great compliment to more costume sales!

How a summer advertisement uses outfits that are no longer available:
    SPOILER Screenshot_1.jpg

Currently, for the summer, they're advertising the front launch page with the phrase "cool off this summer with Elsword", and a mini video/gif showing the elsword characters in the recently released swimsuits. However, those swimsuits are now already removed from the item mall. Imagine if a new player came to check out Elsword, and decided to sign up because the characters in this particular promo looked nice. If they were to check out the item mall, they would see no trace of these outfits. Unless they dug through the MW, which can be a bit confusing for new players especially, they wouldn't even know what these outfits would be called, how they might look on their particular character in a certain color, etc.

Point being: It'd be better for business to have something readily available that new players are going to see on their front page / their first time getting into the game, right? This is just an additional point to help my case. This combined with the low selection of current costumes in the IM doesn't give the game much of a dress up portion these days.

Black Friday observation:
    SPOILERDecember 12th, 2017: For Black Friday, certain costumes were brought back on sale. This is a step forward, but not exactly what I'd like to see as it was still just a two day sale. Furthermore, it would be nice to see accessories rotated as well if not permanently added, as the permanent accessories in the IM are all rather outdated (and besides some things like Miho ears, Blush.. I don't really see people ever buy them, as sparklers on the top of your head aren't the most interesting fashion decision.)
    How Elsword's latest promotional video can be perceived as "false advertising" when it comes to fashion
    SPOILER
    Here's a great example of Elsword's shortcomings in the dressup department without outfit cycling. At 1:11, this new promotional video entices new players with fashion! ... That you can't obtain anymore!

Screenshot_1.png
    I can only identify I Bear Snuggles and the Halloween Candy Devil outfits, neither of which are available in the item mall - nor is the middle one, for that matter (one of the star academy's, I'm assuming.)

Screenshot_2.png

Unless a new user joins right now and immediately cashes in before January 10th, Ciel's outfit cannot be obtained either. The video's dressup portion goes on to show similar patterns - the Ellywood costume, which was only available as a free anniversary gift. The El Lady costume, which is rolling out by 1/10. I think the only outfit I saw that can be bought from the Item Mall is the Fantasy Star Academy and the Dark/Light Priests set. I mean, heck - even the promotional outfit for Ciel is showcased, which, without MW promotional tickets, cannot be obtained permanently. As of right now (3 AM EST, December 23rd), there's only two costumes on the in-game board for Winter Casual, one of the outfits shown in the video, so in many cases not even the in game economy is a viable option as most people MW their things and/or have no seal counts left.

In short: The video comes off almost as false advertising, which is detrimental to the flow of new players who join for the dress up portion. Older players, as well, are frustrated with the lack of options. Elsword can only gain money by introducing frequent sales/cycling of older costumes, and if they wish to live up to one of their promotional aspects then I think more outfit choices can only help rather than harm.

RisukiVarea's suggestion on a possible way for developers to implement cycling sales:
    SPOILER
    Originally posted by RisukiVarea-solace- View Post
    step by step method to automatically cycle any of the old item sets (For this sake, BOTH trump bunny outfits count as ONE set) as need be
    1. First, on all items, create two new flags - one called "old" and the other listed "limited"
    2. Next: On any of the items that are limited for events - i.e. Christmas, New Years, and anything like this - set it to "limited=y" whereas anything else is "limited=n" - For these items, they can activate them during the holiday as part of the cycled list. This flag is there to keep holiday and event-related stuff, related ONLY to that holiday or an event anniversary.
    3. After that, Any items that were released (For example sake) 2 months ago, set the flag "old=y". If it's new and you want it on the first...let's say 2 pages, set it to "old=n".
    4. The next step is important, and will take probably the most coding - You then program the item mall to prioritize the first listings to anything with "limited=y" and "old=n" - followed by "limited=n" and "old=n" - This will make sure the new items you want to sell first and foremost, especially event costumes, show up on page one.
    5. From here, what you do is program the mall to randomly select from a list of [old=y] to fill out a buffer of about 5 sets - Just let it randomly pick once every other week or something like this. You could also program the mall to select one of these sets to have a special sale and be marked as such - we'll say 10% off.
    6. After all the debugging, is complete, there you have it - a means of having the old item mall items cycled.
    Now what this does is create two things - first: The work put into the older items isn't wasted effort, and people can still acquire these by the system giving them a random chance to do so. Second - because you have one of those 5 sets or so randomly on sale: You will see people buy k-ching (or NX for Korean, since they'd do the same) in advance to have the funds ready to buy an outfit they want. This means it'll promote sales and old work still generates revenue - it's a win-win.

On January 30th, GM Srirachalada made a forum survey for users to vote between a handful of options of costumes "for science." Again, on February 1st, she made another one and stated that "the top three costumes will make a return to the item mall!" Permanently or temporary is unknown right now, but this is definitely good progress!
    Update: The costume return was a special sale planned for the long weekend around President's day (february 19th). One of the three costumes returned full price, for one day, only available in package form. User feedback can be found here. Overall, it came as a disappointment to me and others that the costumes were so short-lived, so this petition will still be going strong.
    Last edited by Allensiah-solace-; 02-23-2018, 02:46 AM.

Comment

• Class: {{esusrinfo_class5345}}
      Level: {{esusrinfo_level5345}}
      Guild Name: {{esusrinfo_guild5345}}

Support! I know my friends were planning outfits, but of course that happened, and they were disappointed with the selections.

Comment

• Class: {{esusrinfo_class5359}}
        Level: {{esusrinfo_level5359}}
        Guild Name: {{esusrinfo_guild5359}}

More variety would be nice even if its temporary and rotation would be good to buy any extra pieces your missing if you could afford the whole set the first time

Comment

• Class: {{esusrinfo_class5802}}
          Level: {{esusrinfo_level5802}}
          Guild Name: {{esusrinfo_guild5802}}

Originally posted by MeenaX74-solace- View Post
          More variety would be nice even if its temporary and rotation would be good to buy any extra pieces your missing if you could afford the whole set the first time
          Thanks for the support ! Yeah, I'm open to anything management might find more suitable. Ideally? I'd.. just like more permanent outfits. But even if they rotate just one set out every week, I'd be happy. There are SO many more designs in this game than I could imagine, but they give us 0 chances to actually buy or take advantage of them unless you were around on like, this date back in this year for this week with money, lol. It's unfriendly.. not just to f2p but to actively paying people too, I'm sure, who may not have money at that particular time.

Originally posted by Primarina-solace- View Post
          Support! I know my friends were planning outfits, but of course that happened, and they were disappointed with the selections.
          In the old forums wardrobe thread, there were a few people who stated outright they were going to cash in for outfits, but when they removed everything they spent it elsewhere. This would be super good for us AND elsword I think lol, bc they'd be able to make more money. I just don't understand the decision to essentially dumb down our item mall and make it catered to people who can cash in impulsively. Heck, some working users might get paid a different time and not be able to grab a set because it's gone before payday.

I.. have 0 idea what the IM is like in kr, but at least for NA I just wanna see more ouffits orz.

Comment

• Class: {{esusrinfo_class6621}}
            Level: {{esusrinfo_level6621}}
            Guild Name: {{esusrinfo_guild6621}}

Wanted to make a new outfit using IM costumes but was annoyed to see that they put everything in a rotation. My trap Chung dreams are semi crushed... Support!

Market Thread || Code of Conduct || Siggy By Peper0

Comment

• Class: {{esusrinfo_class7289}}
              Level: {{esusrinfo_level7289}}
              Guild Name: {{esusrinfo_guild7289}}

I would really love it if they rotated them weekly, mostly because I don't get a lot of cash every month, so I can't always afford to spend money on this game for costumes before they're gone, which sucks, 'cause sometimes there's a costume that I really want, but it's gone before I can even load up.

I'd also like Ice Burners to be on a rotation, too, for similar reasons.
              Secondary Wardrobe: https://forum.elsword.koggames.com/f...ndary-wardrobe
              Pet Enhancement Items: https://forum.elsword.koggames.com/f...ancement-items
              Custom Personalities: https://forum.elsword.koggames.com/f...-personalities
              Force Change Passives: https://forum.elsword.koggames.com/f...hange-passives

Comment

• Class: {{esusrinfo_class7326}}
                Level: {{esusrinfo_level7326}}
                Guild Name: {{esusrinfo_guild7326}}

Originally posted by FireElFlare-solace- View Post
                I would really love it if they rotated them weekly, mostly because I don't get a lot of cash every month, so I can't always afford to spend money on this game for costumes before they're gone, which sucks, 'cause sometimes there's a costume that I really want, but it's gone before I can even load up.

I'd also like Ice Burners to be on a rotation, too, for similar reasons.
                I understand . It's a great thing for f2p and cashers.. sometimes you just don't have the money on hand, and I think it's a shame they have a file for every outfit imaginable, but everything has been locked away T_T;

Comment

• Hazelstar-solace-
                  Hazelstar-solace- commented
                  Editing a comment
                  But if they kept everything in the IM wouldn't they make more money in the long term? I have friends who were willing to load up to buy certain costumes but couldn't do so in time. Eventually some of them gave up on buying costumes entirely. If ice burners already meet the quota for immediate profit what would be wrong with letting IM costumes stay for more long term profit? o-o Sorry if you don't know I'm just curious ; ;
                  Supporting because I forgot to earlier ; v ;

• Allensiah-solace-
                  Allensiah-solace- commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wish I had an answer , my best guess is that they just want to encourage "whales" to cash in quick, so to speak. The idea of a costume going away by [X Date] means people might be more likely to cash in. I'm.. guilty of loading up to get frost pixie before it went away, lol. I just hate this sort of business practice because it's less friendly to people who get paid off the IM date schedule, people who might not have a lot of extra spending cash.. etc. I'd love to be able to buy more, but I just can't afford it right now.

And unless I look at actual sales data, I can't say for sure if a long term profit is better for them vs. sale dates.. but my idea is that they can still introduce special outfits like the dance ones, for example, or certain event ones, costume suits, etc... those can come and go probably, but otherwise just average outfits? why make them and not keep them in the IM? It's.. bizarre. I feel so bad every time a new player is crouched in Ruben looking at the item mall.. like all they give as options are eight of some of the oldest outfits, and imho they're mostly ugly :X.

people would load up year round to buy outfits that way vs. waiting for a specific set. and then rotating the "limited edition" ones would bring them back into supply and like... ppl would just be throwing money constantly for costumes on top of other things, why doesnt elsword want that?

• Hazelstar-solace-
                  Hazelstar-solace- commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh...ty, that makes sense ^^
                  Tbh I think all the outfits are ugly on most chars > >;; Except like Eve, but... that's Eve LOL.
                  And maybe Elsword didn't think about that yet? It seems like they'd make more money if they had the average sets in IM year round while rotating event/promo sets but idrk
              • Class: {{esusrinfo_class8618}}
                Level: {{esusrinfo_level8618}}
                Guild Name: {{esusrinfo_guild8618}}

Eighteen votes, all positive! Thanks for the support so far, guys! All we want is to be nicely dressed, haha.

Comment

• Class: {{esusrinfo_class9093}}
                  Level: {{esusrinfo_level9093}}
                  Guild Name: {{esusrinfo_guild9093}}

I can support this a ton.
                  Back then, before the majority of Item-Mall costumes were removed, I used to be proud of our Item Mall. But now? Our current selection is too bare to deal with and it's just plain disappointing.
                  I would love to see removed sets rotated every once in a while, even as only /discounted/ packages. It might be a little disheartening to have sets I wouldn't be interested in rotated in, but at least we would have the choice of buying them for the Item Mall again. Until then, I will be searching for that Noble Lady bottom forever ...
                  I've bloomed.

Comment

• Class: {{esusrinfo_class9299}}
                    Level: {{esusrinfo_level9299}}
                    Guild Name: {{esusrinfo_guild9299}}

Originally posted by Odilette-solace- View Post
                    I can support this a ton.
                    Back then, before the majority of Item-Mall costumes were removed, I used to be proud of our Item Mall. But now? Our current selection is too bare to deal with and it's just plain disappointing.
                    I would love to see removed sets rotated every once in a while, even as only /discounted/ packages. It might be a little disheartening to have sets I wouldn't be interested in rotated in, but at least we would have the choice of buying them for the Item Mall again. Until then, I will be searching for that Noble Lady bottom forever ...
                    Exactly . I'm somewhat positive Elsword has described itself as a "stylish action game" before, somewhere, but it's.. not very stylish, lol. I just don't think the eight outfits are going to cut it for anybody, new or veteran. And to remove outfits with no announcement is even more awful. I've put money into Elsword before, but not a lot - and when I want to? I tell myself not to, because right now they just give me little reason to respect their marketing practices. I get it.. they want people to cash in so they can make immediate, quick profit, but it's just not fair or smart, imho. Rotate sets out, let the supply for old sets be put back into the game. Why bother making outfits if they're going to close the gate on them forever? It's just.. stupid, imo. I'm more interested in games that have a large item pool to choose from.

And.. quite frankly, the eight sets they left us with aren't even that nice looking ;;. They're like, all the old, outdated ones.

Comment

• Ashleyrose45-solace-
                      Editing a comment
                      Exactly, I was so disappointed with what was left there and quite surprised when it was first removed. ;;
                  • Class: {{esusrinfo_class10633}}
                    Level: {{esusrinfo_level10633}}
                    Guild Name: {{esusrinfo_guild10633}}

I personally think what's making it hard for Kog to release newer costume is due to the fact that they always come in one theme. Imo they could release costume for each character instead because it would be easier to make and less absurd overall.

Comment

• Class: {{esusrinfo_class10645}}
                      Level: {{esusrinfo_level10645}}
                      Guild Name: {{esusrinfo_guild10645}}

Originally posted by Roryan-solace- View Post
                      I personally think what's making it hard for Kog to release newer costume is due to the fact that they always come in one theme. Imo they could release costume for each character instead because it would be easier to make and less absurd overall.
                      I think the new costumes are fine, imho . They come usually every week/two weeks, and the unified theme makes it so nobody has to get jealous "oh, well chara has this but I like it better for this chara!"

this thread is mostly for re-releasing costumes that have already been made q _ q;, as I hate the idea that they make all these costumes then lock them away forever.

Comment

• Class: {{esusrinfo_class10673}}
                        Level: {{esusrinfo_level10673}}
                        Guild Name: {{esusrinfo_guild10673}}

23/24 votes for yes so far! thanks for all the support phorumers

Comment

• Class: {{esusrinfo_class14204}}
                          Level: {{esusrinfo_level14204}}
                          Guild Name: {{esusrinfo_guild14204}}

Yes please ' - '

I like my dressup game >.>

plus, more outfits=more revenue to begin with :/

Base Rena Guide|Report Button Guide By RLM2|Discord: Shirayuki #1456|GFX Credits Here

Comment

• ZoriStar-solace-
                            ZoriStar-solace- commented
                            Editing a comment
                            A MOD SUPPORTS THIS we have hope
                        Working...
                        X
                        /* */